Monday, September 15, 2014

Scrappy Patchwork Skirt

I've been s-l-o-w-l-y organizing my entire house. I used to cut fabric on my dining table, and after shimmying things around, I have my own space. Granted it's in the laundry room where I can hear a constant whirring and shaking, but I'll take it!

This is a peek so far of just my fabric:

fabric wall

Labels are your best friends!

After I cut out a pattern, I would just refold (as best I could) the remainder of the fabric into a haphazard square and shove it somewhere. I had large pieces of fleece mixed with cotton, mixed with fat quarters. A mess really. So I trimmed off those long bits by the selvedge, (you know what I'm talking about) all those half circle shapes left by necklines and collars, made a nice clean line and refolded.
During that process I was left with a lot of larger usable scraps for doll clothes, and some that I didn't think were big enough for anything I could make.  Since I had so many pieces at one time I felt bad about just putting it all in bag for stuffing. So I cut out the biggest square I could make out of the scraps and sewed them up. I ended up with this:

patchwork fabric

It is a mix of everything from shirting to corduroy to wools. You can tell I didn't design it, or worry about what squares touch, I just grabbed a square and pieced together. I chained pieced everything so I was finished pretty quickly! Never did that before, and it was very addicting!
What could I make?? I had this "new" fabric to use!
I decided it would be perfect for a skirt:



Someone didn't want to be in the picture today! You should of seen her face!

and a bit of bias tape with extra squares for another project

The lining is a light blue cotton that I cut longer for the ruffle, and to make a casing for the waist elastic. This was pretty fun to sew, and I can see why people love quilting, and patchwork.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this idea and I would totally wear that skirt all the time. What a great job. Kudos to you for not paying attention to what fabric went were. I could have obsessed over it for hours and possible trashed the whole idea cause I couldn't get it "perfect". Yours is perfect.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete